12 Fantastic Ways To Relax At Work And Let Go
The first thing that comes to mind when you think of a workplace is seriousness. A place where you sit, work and stress out.
Relaxing at work might look like a taboo concept. But workplaces and cultures are changing today. So that you can relax your 9 to 5 and stay even more productive.
What if I say you can find your ''Ikigai'' even at work? Ikigai, which means 'reason for being' in Japanese. Your Ikigai is your life's meaning or your euphoria. It brings you delight and encourages you to get out of bed daily. And get going at work with a relaxed state of mind.
Don't be surprized. It is possible. Let's look at how.
Why Relax At Work?
It is important to start your morning with a greater mindset. Stay relaxed before and even after work, even if you have to meet your deadlines by the EOD.
Studies suggest relaxing can enhance your learning skills and rejuvenate your mind. The great spiritual leader Thich Nhat Hanh said: "We humans have lost the wisdom of genuinely resting and relaxing. We worry too much, don't allow our bodies to heal, and don't allow our minds and hearts to heal."
But with daunting deadlines, challenging tasks, unexpected meetings, emails, etc. Stress and anxiety do become unavoidable sometimes.
Well, well, relax!… You can overcome your overwhelmingness.
You must learn to relax, stay calm, and remain composed for your mental, behavioral, spiritual, and physical good. There might arise situations at work where you might feel overwhelmed at times. But finding the right way to balance your thoughts and actions can help change your life.
The consequences of stress, uneasiness, or anxiety at work can be adverse. It can hamper your work and further put your work at stake.
Read: 11 Mindful Monday Tips To Re-Activate Your Best Self At Work
Consequences Of Not Relaxing In Between Work
Debbie Bellenger, an executive in Health and Wellness Advisory Services, suggests some easy tips to relax at work and keep you feeling centered:
- Set a timer on your phone to do stretch breaks every hour. The simple act of getting up out of your chair and moving changes our thoughts.
- Place items on your desk that are calming for you. A yoga cat, a photo, a plant, a print, or a scented candle.
- Set a notice on the Gratitude App to take a few minutes every day to express gratitude. It keeps your thoughts positive and appreciative.
- Step outside to take a deep breath if very stressed. Nature, vitamin D, and a change of scenery can quickly lower blood pressure and heart rate.
- Play background music that soothes you.
- Chat briefly with a colleague about something other than work.
Otherwise, the consequences can be worst. Not relaxing can lead to various health-related conditions. It can severely affect your mind, mood, and behavior like;
Headache, muscle tension or pain, chest pain, fatigue, stomach upset, etc.
Anxiety, restlessness, lack of motivation or focus, irritability or anger, feeling overwhelmed, sadness or depression.
Overeating or undereating, angry outbursts, drug or alcohol misuse, tobacco use, social withdrawal, exercising less often, and sleep problems.
To avoid these above issues or health and well-being, you must relax.
A relaxing workspace has strong organizational growth and good feng shui, according to Katina Z. Jones in "The Everything Feng Shui Decluttering Book." A relaxed work environment is something that the generation demands.
Therefore, allowing employees to relax in between work creates a positive, happy, sustainable culture and growth. Infact, it creates a de-cluttered workplace, making work more effortless and tension-free for employees.
Read: 35 Amazing Spiritual Wellness Activities To Elevate Employees' Wellness
Benefits of Taking a break during Work-Hours
Dwelling on a negative outlook towards life often puts life in distress.
That is why you should encourage yourself to be an optimist. The power of developing positive emotions can help you be relaxed at work and in your personal life. Even empowers the sense of goodness, great mood, and comfortable surroundings.
Relaxed and happy workplaces provide job satisfaction and typically boost productivity. Although, a relaxed, close-knit workplace culture is more good to go for small businesses than big ones. But trends are changing, and every workplace should try to remain a tension-free zone because it;
- Boosts concentration
- Improves mood
- Enhances mental health and well-being
- Synchronizes mind and soul
- Promotes energy and efficiency
- Improves memory and retention
- Contributes to intellectual wellness
- Develops positive emotions, positive thinking, and emotional agility
- Enriches productivity
- Reduces stress levels
- Lowers absenteeism and presenteeism
Read: 50 Calming Quotes For Stress - How To Cope With It At Work
12 Fantastic Tips For You To 'Let Go' and Relax At Work
Looking at the brighter side in the face of trouble can help you unwind at work.
1. Breathwork. Help yourself with some breathing techniques and let it all out. Breathing consciously upto 5 times is a good way to ground yourself.
2. Office Yoga. Stretch your body to ease the muscle tension and heart rate, and restart your work with some office yoga.
3. Aromatherapy. Aromatherapy is an ancient practice to remove all negative energy and rejuvenate your senses to feel good.
4. Mindfulness. Being mindful is essential to remain conscious about your present thoughts and feelings. Mindfulness will calm you from head to toe.
5. Meditation. While remaining seated, you can close your eyes to meditate for 10 minutes and think of nothing. Feel your mind, body, and soul being uplifted after that.
6. Music Therapy. Listening to music while working is a thing for many. But, to relax, switch your playlist and vibe to some healing mantra music and feel the wonder.
7. Journalling. Jolt down your thoughts and any negative emotions to get rid of them. And surround yourself with some positivity.
8. Healthy Snacking. Binge eating while stressed is definitely a problem. But not if it's a healthy snack and fresh fruit juice.
9. Social Health. Go to a friend or colleague and try socializing. You never know if they might help you feel cool-headed while at work.
10. Digital detox. Take a break from your laptop, your phone, or social media. Detox your mind and reset.
11. Go Out and Get some Fresh Air. Take a walk, look outside and get some fresh air to regain energy and motivation.
12. Deep Rest. It would help if you learned what deep rest is. This podcast on Deep Rest by Sindhuja Kumar will help you understand the relevance.
Read: The 4 Pillars Of Happiness At Work
10 Quotes That Will Help You Relax At Work
Work. Don't Think. Relax. ―Ray Bradbury
Tension is who you think you should be. Relaxation is who you are. -Ude Ibiam Ufiem.
To have faith is to trust yourself to the water. When you swim you don'tdon't grab hold of the water, because if you do you will sink and drown. Instead you relax, and float. -Alan Watts
Your mind will answer most questions if you learn to relax and wait for the answer. -William S. Burroughs
Sometimes, there is not a lot of pressure, so you can relax. -Cody Bellinger
People choose to struggle when people don'tdon't want to relax. Sometimes it is not on your side. Relax; calm down. No matter how hard the waves are, you will float on the ocean. -Kubra Sait
Just breathing can be such a luxury sometimes. ―Walter Kirn
Sometimes the best solution is to rest, relax and recharge. It'sIt's hard to be your best on empty. -Sam Glenn
Work is not always required. There is such a thing as sacred idleness. – George MacDonald
Don'tDon't make things too complicated. Try to relax, enjoy every moment, get used to everything. -Angelique Kerber
Don't you think companies and their cultures are changing rapidly today?
Indeed, they are. Employees look forward to working in a flexible environment that promotes well-being. Google, Microsoft, Zappos, etc., prioritize a relaxing culture as much as their perks, benefits, and wellness programs.
Close-knit employees always work efficiently together. Twitter employees are offered free meals at the San Francisco headquarters, along with yoga classes, unlimited vacations, etc., to keep their motivation alleviated. More than that, such companies focus on creating a well-balanced working space to socialize and stay more productive.
People relax at work not to skip work but to regain concentration and come back fresh. However, how you relax at work is more important. Afterall, no program or rules culminates in happy and healthy employees who feel valued and take pride in their work.
Vantage Fit - A complete AI-Powered Solution for seamless implementation of your Corporate Wellness Program to nurture a healthy and engaged workforce